Case For Support
Our Mission Statement is to offer a safe, intentional, interactive and inclusive community where persons with intellectual and developmental differences can thrive and achieve their life’s full potential.
We are a person-centered community where the strengths, gifts and capabilities of our citizens are embraced, nurtured and celebrated.
Consistently, the Commonwealth of Virginia ranks near the bottom of all 50 states in opportunities for people with disabilities, hence viable, safe and fulfilling options for persons with intellectual and development challenges are extremely scarce.
Vanguard Landing will address that problem with a comprehensive, sustainable community in Virginia Beach that will provide a safe place for people with disabilities to live, work and enjoy recreational activities. Vanguard Landing will provide its residents and day participants opportunities and a supportive environment to reach their greatest potential and achieve personal goals in all areas of their lives, including life skills, continuing education, job skill development, leisure time utilization, expressive arts, and community involvement.
Through its commitment to providing a safe, progressive and self-sustaining community for adults with intellectual and developmental differences, Vanguard Landing will benefit the City of Virginia Beach, the entire Hampton Roads region and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
The Proposed Vanguard Landing Project:
- Will develop a 75 acre agrarian based community offering a fully integrated community life experience for up to 200 participants. There will be on-site businesses, including a Special Events Center, Van Garden and Market, Equestrian Center, Lindsey’s Restaurant, Twice as Nice Shoppe and leased space to The Cole Academy Pre-school, a local dog rescue and more.
- Is modeled after the nearly 124 similar Intentional Communities around the country which are addressing the need for residential, employment, social and recreational opportunities for citizens who need some extra support to live a full and meaningful life.
- Fills an unmet need—Vanguard Landing will accept both private pay and Medicaid waiver as payment for rent and services. Our citizens will enjoy and participate in all the offerings of the surrounding community.
- Has the support of the City of Virginia Beach, which provided the funding to purchase the parcel of land.
- Has a solid financial business model—after Construction funding is secured, Vanguard Landing’s ongoing income streams will support the ongoing operational costs, as well as future construction loan payments. A Business Feasibility study was completed by The McGladrey Group which supports this business plan.
- Even though groundbreaking is several months away, 202 requests for admissions have been received and almost half of the 1st Phase slots have been filled.